A native of Cavan Town, Co. Cavan, Ireland, Tony Jackson immigrated to America in 1964. He quickly found employment with the Melville Shoe Co. tony served two years in the U.S. Army, from 1965 until his honorable discharge, with the rank of Sergeant, in 1967. Shortly thereafter, he went to work for the International Shoe Company, where he rapidly rose to management. In 1975, Tony resigned to purchase his own business in Queens.
Emcee, radio host and all-round “Mr. Long Island”, Tony can be heard over the airwaves of WRHU-FM, Hofstra University Radio, from 5-8pm every Saturday night. His Irish Country Show has received outstanding program awards at WRHU in 1985, 1986 and 1995.
Tony’s wife is the former Maureen O’Neill from Co. Galway. They were married in 1965 and presently reside in New Hyde Park, NY. Tony and Maureen have participated as a host family with the Project Children program.
2003 Grand Marshal Tony Jackson served many organizations over the years:
- Past President of Division 14, AOH
- Past National Coordinator, Freedom for All Ireland Comm.
- Treasurer, New York Pearse Commemoration Committee
- Member, American Irish Congress; Irish National Caucus
- Past President, Irish American Society of Nassau, Suffolk and Queens
- Grand Marshal, Garden City St. Patrick’s Day Parade, 1986